Autor Wątek: Saracen  (Przeczytany 1135 razy)

0 użytkowników i 1 Gość przegląda ten wątek.

Techminator

• Administrator
  • Ekspert
Saracen
« dnia: Sierpień 17, 2022, 16:17:32 »
Saracen

Reissue of 80s UK heavy metal album from the New Wave of British Heavy Metal scene.

Wydany w 1981 roku, bardzo dobry debiutancki album grupy Saracen to połączenie tradycyjnego hard rocka/heavy metalu z kręgu NWOBHM z brytyjskim rockiem progresywnym z końca lat 70-tych jak England. Zespół trochę wyprzedził epokę popularności takich grup jak Marillion czy Pallas (z okresu LP 'Sentinel', aczkolwiek Saracen grał nieco ciężej) i niestety wydana nakładem włąsnej wytwórni płyta sprzedawała się bardzo słabo. Drugi, bardziej komercyjny album z 1984 był cieniem debiutu.
Doskonały dźwięk!

Saracen are not your average by the numbers NWOBHM act. Ever so often   you come across a band not content to trod the oft? beaten path   straightforward 70?s rock   with a heavier edge   you know the deal. Anyway, Saracen are more of a progressive band, with a unique sound. I loathe using this term   we all know it gets thrown around far too often   but it?s EPIC. While this is not a concept album   as are later works from the outfit, this one has several similarly themed medieval tracks, and weaves a cool feel throughout album; heavy use of keys and driving sounds, with great riffs bring this feel to life. There?s also a couple of long, serious tracks;  Ready to Fly?,  Horsemen of the Apocalypse?,  Crusader? and the emotional title track all sit above six minutes. With so many albums in my collection, I often forget about this little gem from these Matlock, Derbyshire lads   but when I hear it again I?m always like  oh, this song   cool!    it totally has a unique feel, and songs aren?t straightforward and formulaic. This is a welcome change when sifting through the umpteenth different obscure NWOBHM demo from every stretch of the British Isles.

Though as I mentioned, this is not a concept album   it probably should be listened to as  an album?   and hence reviewed as one   but I?m gonna jump straight into the deep end and talk about my favourite tracks. It actually is immensely difficult to choose a favourite here, with so many catchy, or emotional numbers. I?ll start off with the excellent melodic number  Rock of Ages?. Believe me NWOBHM fans   you?ll like this one more than the Def Leppard offering! (Or the Grant Lee Buffalo one)This killer track thunders in with a brilliant driving riff akin to something from Badger or Bitches Sin   dirty and hard rockin, yet utterly passionate. The vocal/guitar mating in the verses is magical and delivered perfectly   just talented songwriting. The chorus in this one is massive. The backup vocals in  Livin for each day!  are well harmonized, and Steve Bettney?s main delivery is passionate and strong. Heavy use of keys in this one makes it far more memorable   and is something the band puts to excellent use throughout the album   and perhaps works even better in the more epic tracks. Either way, while this type of song often is designed merely to tick the box (Obligatory simplistic rock anthem, with  Rock? in the title)   these guys kill it here. The keys, oh the keys.

Horsemen of the Apocalypse?   unsurprisingly given the title, has a dark, ominous feel to it   and at times some doomy sounding riffage (intro section before first verse)   coupled with your dark subject matter   lyrics of surrendering yourself to hell   and the almightiness of the mighty horsemen   and you have what is very much a doom metal track. Yet   it somewhat kicks the ass of Witchfinder General   in my opinion. The centerpiece of this one are the excellent, holocaustic lyrics, delivered with a passion by our frontman. This track gives the band a chance to show some of its early influences. Black Sabbath clearly comes through in the dark subject matter, prominent bass delivery, and drudgy nature of sections of the song   while the trademark keys, epicness and energy hint at the bands Yes and Pink Floyd influences. A thrilling, excellently crafted number totally able to hold it?s own against any classic doom piece.

The excellent and emotional opener  Crusader? which perhaps even bests the more well known  Saxon? track of the same name, shows a lot of Uriah Heep coming through in the sound. Here Saracen proves their worth as perhaps one of the best bands when it comes to writing extensive, drawn out songs that are completely as far from boring you can get. This effect is achieved through excellent narratives   strong lyrics crafted through a variety of different sections throughout the song. Keys are again used to great effect, while the strong vocal melodies are also present. Drumming throughout this well crafted piece certainly adds to the atmosphere.  Ready to Fly? is basically a heavy metal version of Pink Floyd   a kickass combination. Opening synth build some energy before the hard hitting classic NWOBHM vocal/guitar arrangement. Vocals are aggressive, and have a tone akin to Rob Halford   particularly given the thundering riffage underneath. While lyrics are epic and fantastical, guitars thunder along aggressively, and occasional high pitched shrieks again evoke that Priest comparison. Slower sections build depth with strong synth while guitars erupt in an orgiastic solo section, climaxing the awesome energy in this pure heavy metal beast. Rob Bendelow shows some real genius in writing cuts like this one. I firmly believe that if this song were handed over to Priest at the time   it would still be revered widely today as a metal masterpiece. It would actually suit a place on something like Riot?s Thundersteel   with its soaring epic energy. Every bit as virtuosic, sad and epic as something like  Stairway to Heaven?   these guys are absolutely deserving of a wider audience, and much more respect as groundbreaking musicians.

The remainder of the album is equally as amazing;  Dolphin Ride? is a slower, acoustically infused progressive number   touching in its soft honesty, again bringing out those 70?s prog rock roots, while  No More Lonely Nights? is the bands attempt at a more straight forward, dirty rock  n? roll cut. Hugely catchy, with equal measures of pounding, thumpy guitars, sleazy lyrics, and melodic, soothing choruses. This one has more of a 70?s rock feel, and Uriah Heep influence, and puts the band?s trademark keys to good use. Utter professionalism evident in this band?s debut album. Brilliant songwriting and attention to even the smallest details   not to mention a totally unique sound make this one an absolute NWOBHM must-have. Perfect mixture of the dirty thundering impact of riffs in  Rock of Ages? and the passionate proto-power metallism of and grandeur of the sublime  Ready to Fly? make for one of the most interesting and enjoyable NWOBHM records I?ve heard. After having listened to this one again   I can honestly say two things: one is that I will be tracking down ALL these guys other stuff, and two: without wanting to espouse cliché; this band is perhaps one of the best kept secrets in NWOBHM and are totally deserving of a much greater fan base. Yes it?s that good! Along with another recently reviewed band   Rhabstallion, these guys may very well be the most amazing overlooked NWOBHM band of the whole damn bunch!

DeathRiderDoom

1. Crusader   7:00
2. Rock Of Ages   3:20
3. No More Lonely Nights   3:30
4. Horsemen Of The Apocalypse   6:30
5. Heroes, Saints And Fools   7:40
6. Dolphin Ride   3:55
7. Ready To Fly   8:20

Bass, Vocals - Barry Yates
Drums - John Thorne
Guitar, Music By, Lyrics By, Composed By, Arranged By - Robert Bendelow
Keyboards, Vocals - Richard Lowe